Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 8: Museo del Prado & Flamenco

I took up the offer from Geronimo for lunch and some sight-seeing while Nicole was at work today. We agreed to meet in the Plaza Mayor at 1pm. We ate from a "menu": a 3 course meal where you chose each course from a daily selection. After, we walked the streets, talking and avoiding crowds.





We walked through the Botanical Gardens and then through the Museo del Prado. I would not have gone to this particular museum on my own, all classic work. But having Geronimo as a tour guide, I gained more of an appreciation as we walked through the halls. My favorite painting by far, Bosch's Triptych of The Garden of Earthly Delights. We continued on after we both purchased a book from the Museum shop, and found a nice place for wine and tapas. I told him I was meant to meet him and have these profound conversations on life, love, family and travel. My heart beats with the excitement of returning home with a new perspective on life - I am looking forward to New York City more now than ever.

I stumbled on a tattoo shop & peeked my head in. He stayed outside while I bought 2 t-shirts. He reminded me of the time - I needed to get back to the apartment to meet Nicole in 30 minutes. We said our good-bye's and I rushed to the Metro. As I approached the platform, the train was arriving. The doors opened & there was Nicole! What are the chances!

We changed clothes for our evening plans, and headed to the Taberna Restaraunt for the Casa Patas, flamenco en vivo. The show did not start until 10:30pm, we sat at the bar for more wine and tapas. I am having the time of my life & I'm so happy to be sharing this experience with such a good friend!

The performance was breathe-taking. The passion of the flamenco is unlike any other dance I have seen. I remember the master class in the Great Hall at MMC, and all of us just trying to get the beat - 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2 1,2 1,2

I had visions of Savion Glover pounding the shit out of the floor while I watched this woman. There must have been a flamenco influence in hoofin'? Not only was the dance emotional, but the guitar and the singer evoked their song as if they were crying through their instrument. It was so captivating & no way can someone teach a person to sing like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment