Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 2: Segovia

Had a good night sleep, woke up for Greek yogurt, fresh fruit & coffee around 9am. Nicole & I then took the subway to the Bus Terminal where we caught an 1hr 10min ride to the city of Segovia. It started out to be a very cloudy day & most of my shots were dreary. But no worries, things cleared up & it was a beautiful afternoon. The aqueduct that runs through the heart of the city was very impressive & my favorite (so far).



  



There were two matching carousels nearby, but earlier in the day they, were shut down. When we came back through this area, they started to open it up for the evening. Reminded me of Coney Island for a minute...



The gothic catherdral was very difficult to get into one shot, but I got pretty close.



This was the first city with winding streets and narrow alley's - quintesential Europe. I could feel the centuries before me - whatever that means.

Nearby, the Plaza Mayor was not as prominent as Madrid's, but beautiful all the same. We walked around the corner to find some typical souvenier shops. Hanging outside of one, I found these old oversized padlocks, with a ring of matching keys. With Nicole's translating assistance, the woman told us that they symbolized how Segovia was once protected by a fortress. My first purchase! I also bought an over-sized key, bigger than the set attached.

Lunch in the Plaza Mayor was delicious! Gazpacho came with all of the chopped vegetables seperate, then you add it in yourself - best ever!




We then headed toward the Alcázar, that towers over the city. It is a castle built with many spikey towers, I had a hard time capturing everything in one shot (switched lenses twice before getting frustrated). But then the sun came out! We stopped for a beer on our way back through the winding streets. I can not get over the prices. What 2 people would pay for a pint in NYC, would pay for a meal here. We paid for the beers with change.

Many churches and beautiful buildings, I am looking forward to comparing this city to the others I will see. Nicole tells me there will be distinct characteristics of architecture and design one to the other.  We took the bus, the the subway back to Madrid, and went to the local grocery store! Honestly, I should have brought my camera in there & if I have a chance again, I just might. Lots of bright colors!

Dinner tonight: we are making our own pizzas!

No comments:

Post a Comment